Thursday, December 29, 2011

SEEING STARS

Ever seen stars?  Yeah.  Me, too.

During the Christmas extravaganza, the ten of us went out to eat at Hugo's.  I rode one way with Beth's family and was thrilled that the little girls wanted Mimi to ride home with them.  It was dark and raining.  The stage was set.

Lunging into Brad's van, I only missed one step.  It was a small step, but apparently a strategic one.  The good news was...the doorframe caught my fall.  The bad news was..my forehead also made the catch.

Now I'm thinking the Lord was pretty wise to cover our brains with bone.  There was quite a lot of forward thrust that creased the midpoint above my brow.

Brad was at my elbow in a flash.  "Did you lose your dignity?" he asked.

In our family, humor is essential and a laugh goes a long way.  So I humored him with a chuckle while wanting to blubber like a baby.

When we got home and into the light, the bulge had apeared and I was dubbed CroMagnon Woman.

Sure enough, my dignity WAS lost.

On day three (see right), the bulge is gone and the color is coming.  I'm loving these shades of red-violet.  Besides blue, purple is my favorite color.

OK.  Day four.  Seriously, is this what boxers look like the week after?

I asked Mike how I'd know if I had had a concussion.  He said "oh, you'd know.  You'd have double vision and seem confused/loopy".

Then we both died laughing.

Of course I'm grateful.  The Lord spared me real harm.  It really doesn't hurt that bad unless you touch the forehead.  I"m SURE not looking to touch it but sometimes I forget.  It itches.

So have I learned anything besides watching my steps more carefully?

LESSON ONE
Things happen in a flash, but consequences dawdle.
(BTW, this is certainly not a lesson new to me.)

LESSON TWO
What hurts one, hurts others.  My face causes others to wince.
Poor Mike.  We're avoiding going places because he gets looks.
My pain is not his gain.

LESSON THREE
Slowing life down...limiting destinations and resting...is REALLY a good thing.  
Don't you agree that our bodies need this week between Christmas
and New Years?  Let's leave turmoil and enter quietness.
God will be there if you invite Him.

The Message has its' own version of Matthew 11:28..."Are you tired?  Worn out?  Burned out on religion?  Come to me.  Get away with me and you'll recover your life.  I'll show you how to take a real rest."

No comments:

Post a Comment