Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I CHOOSE YOU












Last night I asked Mike if we could adopt a Haitian orphan. He very calmly said..."and which of my wives would help me raise that child?" OK, so I'm not getting around so well anymore. Dadgummit. But then today I got up and read this story in the New York Times. GOD BLESS the New York Times for running this story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/us/26orphans.html


Can't WAIT for you to read the article. It may warm the cockles of your heart (whatever those are). The piece also has a place to click on an audio by Kristin Heaton (the adoptive mom) as she tells their story. And be sure to click on the MARVELOUS 18 pictures. Don't miss a one. What a wonderful story!


I thank the Lord that He puts the desire for adoption in many, many hearts. Adoption serves as a snapshot for us to understand just what God had in mind when He adopted US:


1. Those children survived the quake, but had very little hope in life. Did you see the "before" picture of the orphanage babies? Now just look at the "after" pictures and see the love being lavished on the girls. God lavishes love on His adopted ones! "Behold what manner of love the Father has given unto us...that we should be called the sons of God."


2. One day those little girls had one particular last name; today they have a new name. That's how it is when we come into God's family. One day my name was Separated, now my name is Included. That might sound pompous except all I did to receive my name...was to yield.


3. The future possibilities for Bettania and Dieunette dramatically changed; so did my possibilities when I set my heart on eternity.


4. How the girls view life will be uniquely shaped by the parents who raise them. The believer's indwelling Spirit gives unique perspective to see things as God sees them.


5. In a blink, Bettania and Dieunette had a large family who loved and welcomed them. Look at the joy on all the faces. The body of Christ is that for believers. When we moved into our new Fayetteville neighborhood, we had an instant bond with the believers in our neighborhood and in our new church.


6. The girls were not accepted on the basis of anything that they accomplished. That is so like God's amazing grace. Did you notice the picture taken in their garage? There is a sign on the garage wall proclaiming God's name, Jehovah Nissi. That is saying...we are under God's "banner" of protection and deliverance. Think that name will always be precious to Bettania and Dieunette?


Now a final stretching thought. When you see the pictures, you can see why the Heaton family wanted to provide a home for these little girls. They are cutie peetooties. But what about our adoption? I don't know about you, but I know my heart. Why would God long for US to the extent that He would give up His own child so we could be with Him? God's love and mercy are beyond comprehension.


"His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave him great pleasure." Ephesians 1.5 NLT






1 comment:

  1. I love your post and the article you linked. Thanks so much! Can I post it on my blog?

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete