Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A NEW YORK CITY MOVE

Tonight Mike and I got it together enough to have company after 10 WEEKS in this house. Our first guests were Beth and Nate...and it was just frozen lasagna...but it finally felt "normal" to invite someone over. As I was setting the table, I had a random flashback. I remembered that when I was little, when company was coming for dinner Momma would let me use my crayons to decorate the white paper napkins. That made me feel like a special part of the preparation. You know how good it feels to go to someone's house and open the door to wonderful smells and the table already set. Then I thought of the other Cruses who just undertook a move 10 DAYS ago. And I wondered how Brad and Laura's progress was going. Moving in New York City is no piece of cake; Brad said carrying moving boxes on the bus was a pain. This is a special couple who choose to live where the Lord is not famous...that they might make Him known.

Here is something four-year-old Hanna might tell about their move:

"Hi! My name is Hanna and my family lives in New York City. We just moved last weekend. It was a lot of trouble to just move twenty blocks. But my Daddy is happy because the rent is less and he says it is like he got a nice raise. Our space went from almost 1,000 square feet to about 800 square feet. My Momma says that she traded a real kitchen for a kitchenette, but she's adapting.

My little sister Caroline and I now have a school just across the street that Daddy and Momma really like for us (when it is time for us to go). And our brownstone apartment is on the ground floor so there will be no more climbing three flights of stairs. This apartment even has a "yard". We like to ride our trike in the backyard and play with chalk.

When my new brownstone was converted to apartments, they cut a hole in the floor and put in a really cool black wrought iron spiral staircase so we can get downstairs to our bedrooms. A fireman's pole might have been faster. When my parent's bed wouldn't fit down the staircase, the movers wanted to cut it in half. But my Daddy figured out a way to disassemble a wall of bookshelves so the box
springs could get a better angle...and...it fit! My Daddy is good with spacial awareness.

We are also glad our piano made it safely. Daddy says that the movers earned their money.

My little sister and I like to go to the park on most pretty days and we still live close to both Riverside and Central Park. For the Labor Day weekend, we went boating in Central Park and that was fun!

Caroline and I are playing like we will get married and I have on a "wedding crown". My sister says she's getting "berried"...but she won't hold my hand like you're supposed to.

Mimi and Aunt Beth are coming to New York City to see us soon. And I want to go to Arkansas to see their new house, too. Did you know my Papa and Mimi moved to a new town where my cousin lives? They live in the country and there are deer in their backyard. The End."



Romans 10:14 in The Message says:

"But how can people call for help
if they don't know who to trust?

And how can they know who to trust if they haven't heard of the One who can be trusted?

And how can they hear if nobody tells them?"


























No comments:

Post a Comment