Sunday, September 13, 2009

ADDENDUM TO "UNRAVELED"



In the blog two days ago, I found myself "feeling better" about our political turmoil by remembering how BIG our God is. And that is a great perspective adjustor. He did speak everything into existence and we are tiny specks as ants. But as I thought about those chapters in Isaiah (40-42), I realized that God's bigness only tells half His story. Those chapters also speak of the marvelous/inexplicable other side of God. Yes, He is the powerful Creator, but He also is the tender Shepherd.

Listen to this from The Message. It is talking about God knowing it all (literally a know-it-all) and not getting tired out or pausing to catch His breath as He works with people...

"He energizes those who get tired and He gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind." (Isaiah 40:29-31)

"God's message, the God who created the cosmos, stretched out the skies, laid out the earth and all that grows from it, Who breathes life into earth's people and makes them alive with his own life: 'I am God. I have called you to live right and well. I have taken responsibility for you, kept you safe. I have set you among my people to bind them to me, and provided you as a lighthouse to the nations, to make a start at bringing people into the open, into light; opening blind eyes, releasing prisoners from dungeons, emptying the dark prisons.' " (Isaiah 42:5-7)

God says "I'll take the hand of those who don't know the way, who can't see where they're going. I'll be a personal guide to them, directing them through unknown country. These are the things I'll be doing for them - sticking with them, not leaving them for a minute." (Isaiah 42:16)

Our God made the cosmos and keeps it running...and also tenderly reaches down to minister to us. Like a father, He takes us by the hand. He is far above us, but right beside us. What a package!

"For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created by Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."
Colossians 1:16,17 (NASV)

No comments:

Post a Comment