Wednesday, August 28, 2013

FIFTY YEARS LATER

Know why after fifty years, Dr. Martin Luther King's words still resonate?

Dr. King's words resonate because he "got" the big picture.  He was acquainted with the One who would one day bring the hammer down on iniquity.  In the meantime, Dr. King knew he had been given a specific and hard task;  he was to straighten his back and courageously proclaim truth in the face of vicious hatefulness.

The good news?  The same One who called him also empowered him.  Dr. Martin Luther King was God's man for America.

How do we know that?  When Dr. King spoke, his words reflected eternal truth.  There may be people who think "let justice roll down like water" was what Dr. King said.  Actually, Amos said it first...a long time ago.  When Dr. King's words matched heavenly truth, they struck down deep in men's souls.

    "I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
    
    I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.'
   

  I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
   

  I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
    

  I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    
  I have a dream today.
    

  I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
    

  I have a dream today."
Some believe that the good Lord gave Dr. King a heads up the night before he died.  His words give evidence to that.


"And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

And it was a desire to bring God glory that carried Dr. King to the finish line.  His example was of selfless faith.  The dream WILL be fulfilled, just as he said.  Of course it will happen in the Promised Land, but to the extent that men are responsible before their Maker, it can be fulfilled here as well.

Meanwhile, would writing more laws help?  We've already legislated into the subjective by instituting "hate crimes".  Can hearts be completely legislated against hate?  If not, what's the answer?

We individually make decisions every day.  Here is ONE WOMAN'S STORY that suggests a reasonable action point.


You know, if Dr. King were here today, I think he would enjoy seeing the progress that his day never got to see.  Gone are the Jim Crow laws.  And this amazing chart shows black voters have steadily increased and their percentage surpassed white voters.

Wouldn't Dr. King relish the sight of a black President, Justice of the Supreme Court, Attorney General, and others?  I think he would love the leadership role Dr. Ben Carson has stepped up to assume.

America has honored Dr. Martin Luther King in many ways.  Think of the MANY streets in our country that bear his name.  Think of the Nobel Peace Prize, given to him in 1964 for the way he tacked racial inequality through nonviolence.  Think of the Presidential Medal of Honor, given to him posthumously for his activism.  His birthday is a federal holiday...and in 2011, a memorial statue was placed on the National Mall.  Our nation stands in debt to Martin Luther King.


Those rewards are nice and everyone likes to be acknowledged for what they do.  Dr. King garnered many honors, but his name is great because God trusted him with the opportunity to inspire people to live better...and point the way to God as the final judge.  And now?

We can just imagine him in God's presence where his dream has become reality.  


That's the ultimate reality.

















No comments:

Post a Comment