Saturday, October 13, 2012

SEE HIM FACE TO FACE

There is a little song I wish I could sing for you.  It's simple...only four lines.  I wish you could hear the tune.  It goes like this:

one day Jesus is gonna call my name
as days go by, hope I don't stay the same
I wanna get so close to Him that it's no big change
on that day when Jesus...calls my name

That's a true song for me and for you.  Scripture says one day all men will look into these eyes.  His gaze goes to the very depths of my soul because He knows my every thought and the intent of each of my actions.  How's that for transparency?  It's terrifying and comforting all at once.

In that day, I will be covered.  Such assurance doesn't come from who I am, but solely because of what He promised.  In 1978, my heart's cry was to ask for forgiveness and He took my wrongs away.  His grace floored me then and it still floors me now.  That's because I know how crooked I can be...and how much it cost Him to take my place.  


Yesterday I was reading about how a presidential candidate stopped in to see Billy Graham.  Mr. Graham's body is frail now; he is close to seeing Jesus face to face.  I was thinking how over the years, Billy seems to have made choices according to those song lyrics (above).  He seems so close to the Lord that it will be no big change.  

I smile to think of Dr. Graham's confidence and excitement about hearing his name called.  He can't wait to see his dear wife Ruth.


This fall in the study of Genesis, I've moved from high thought to high thought.  It is good to look up and remember that our world exists according to the plan of God the Father...by the power of God the Holy Spirit...and through God the Son, who spoke it into existence (John 1:1-3).  


Jesus made all that we see and it came together in creativity and riotous color.  This fellow lives in the rainforest of an island off Indonesia and is known as "Wilson's Bird of Paradise".  I would never have thought to paint his legs blue or crown him with that bald head that is so vibrant, it can be seen at night.  (The dark violet double curls for a tail are a nice touch, too.)

Our earth is just as unique.  There is no other place in the universe with conditions that allow man to flourish.  After the Lord completed creation, the perfect place was ready for the crowning touch that came in Day Six.  MAN!


Although the animals/fish/creeping creatures were all made "after their own kind", man was unique.  Adam was made in God's likeness from the dust of the ground.  Then the Lord breathed into Adam's nostrils and he became a living being.  Later Eve was created from Adam's rib before the couple was given their assignment as orchard-tenders. 

In that creative process, God demonstrated His personhood by displaying emotion on each day.  When the sun, moon, and stars were flung into the skies, God stepped back and was moved to exclaim "it's GOOD!"  When the mountains rose up and the sea was given containment, and the living creatures were added...God said "it's GOOD!"  But when He made man, God said "it is VERY GOOD".  God puts stock in the life He made.

One day when we hear our name called and appear before this Creator of the universe,  all else will pale.  Even our contentious 2012 election?  Yes, the importance of the election pales even though it is critical now.  

Roughly half of our country is aligned behind a party whose stated platform scrubs God's name and calls for the right to destroy life.  Since there is no definitive science for when life begins, that is a huge gamble....and especially when we think of standing before the Maker of heaven and earth.  

Life is a gift from the Giver of all good gifts.  Man is on sinking sand to think he can steal from God.  Isaiah reminds us of the Lord's desire to draw us close in order to listen to His wisdom and think deeply.  "Come, let us reason together...says the Lord."  

No comments:

Post a Comment