Tuesday, March 6, 2012

RANDOM "RE" WORDS

REWARD
Today is my Mama's birthday and she is enjoying her reward in a far place.  Here is a picture from the 40's when she looked like a movie star.  They all plucked their eyebrows to look like Hedy Lamarr in those days.

My mother was a prayer warrior and casserole maker and children's SS teacher and she took herself lightly.  My brother and I were blessed to have good "raising".

Miss you, Mama.

RENEWED
Spring is showing out early this year.  In NW AR, we are about two weeks ahead of ourselves on the budding.  Here is the coming-out party for our pretty little tulip tree.  Can you see the tiny little nest from last year @center bottom?  You can click on it to make it larger.

It's fun that just when we think we can't stand another minute of winter's bleakness, we turn the corner into spring and dead branches miraculously burst into color.  Death becomes life as all creation sings His praise.  I love how spring is a big picture book of resurrection.


REDEFINED
Winter is not the only bleakness these days.  There is true lack of vibrance on the national landscape because of our economic problems.  Yet there is no Ward Bond out in front of this wagon train.

So the one we pay to lead...casts around for a re-election issue.  Finding none, he deftly changes the subject.  Now we've forgotten about paying at the pump and losing jobs and phantom nest eggs because all we can talk about is birth control.  REALLY?  Who would have thought all of the news would be full of that subject with all the other possibilities?

Masterful redefinition of pertinence...

RECOLLECTION
Ten days ago the Little Rock Cruses came for a Baby Will viewing.  The weekend was a whirlwind, but we really enjoyed them.

Needing to be back in LR by 2:00 on Sunday, we all hit an 8:30 service on Wedington and then followed them out of town for an early lunch at our favorite eatery, Grandma's.

They loved all the yummy stuff, but the little girls' table conversation was all about which flavor pie they could get at the pie buffet.  Hanna settled on peanut butter and Caroline wanted chocolate.

Now Caroline was down to the last two bites of her pie when she had a thought.  "Hanna, you need to try this chocolate.  I think you would REALLY like it!"  Hanna was agreeable so Caroline put most of the remaining custard on her fork.  Then she said..."you'll need some of this whipping cream (meaning, meringue)".  So she put that on the fork, too...and then fed her big sister.  This Mimi is going to feed on that picture a long time.

Caroline has a wonderful, giving heart that thinks automatically of others.  And she has no guile.  As we finished, Caroline turned to her Daddy with those big bright eyes and proclaimed "Oh, my goodness!  We will REALLY have to brush our teeth well tonight."   Spoken like a dentist's daughter.

REPURPOSED
You and I were made to worship God.  That was our lesson Sunday and it reminded me that for thirty years, I was the center of my life.  Then the Lord kindly repurposed me and I don't miss myself much.  (Well...I have been known to slink back in and have to ask myself to step back.)

Today my excitement is about having a fulfilling reason to live because of my new purpose...and confidence about the future.

I love to think of God reclaiming the earth and restoring it to it's previous Garden-of-Eden splendor.  In 2008, Mike took me to Glacier National Park and I thought that was grand.  Can't wait for the redo of the whole earth.

The Lord is all over extreme makeovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment