Wednesday, December 7, 2011

FETCH THE FIBRILLATOR

 Our church has about a half-dozen seasoned members who have spent time on the heart floor of our hospital lately.

None of them eat like this.  They are not even overweight...their tickers are just troubled.

So it seemed fitting that our congregation should consider getting a defibrillator.

Of course with a population in their 70's and 80's...some immediately said "Oh, don't bring me back!  If He is calling, I'm ready to go."

Others allowed as how they were counting on their heavenly home, but knew that a heart attack was survivable and they wanted to live.

Some wondered about operating the machine and being legally vulnerable. Sad times when fear of legal action trumps compassion.

The defibrillator people assure us they send out a trainer...and the device is so sophisticated that it will not allow a shock unless all the signs line up for pushing the button.

So the vote was FOR the big purchase.  Now we have to get the list of those who want to be revived...and the list of those who don't.  Then we try not to get confused.  One lady said "I want Mike to operate the machine for me...he will read the instructions." Yes, some of us are more detail-oriented.

 Our new defibrillator can be a huge blessing for our church.  In September when one of our members had a heart spell, I can say that the impotence of sitting while the episode played out was excruciating.

I believe the Lord unlocks knowledge for our good and a defibrillator in a school or church or public area is a terrific tool.  We marvel at technology and the outflow of things that earlier went unimagined.  I can speak proudly of my new knee and how that has made life easier for me.

But technology has also allowed us into uncharted and gray areas.  We now decide whether to take away life-giving measures.  We decide what to do with artificially inseminated embryos.  We clone.  We're getting pretty big for our britches.

Some things cross the line into "His business".  Can we agree that there IS a line to honor?

I certainly can't assume to know His prerogatives or plans.

Didn't He say "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts, and my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine."  Isaiah 55.8

I sure wouldn't consider applying for His position.

Jehovah God says "I am the Lord and there is no other." Isaiah 45.5

No comments:

Post a Comment