Friday, October 1, 2010

BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS

The good Lord has given me another year...and I get to spend it. That's what I got from Him for my 63rd. I also got reminders of His love as a bunch of people called or sent cards/wishes on Facebook. I'm grateful for the kindness and thoughtfulness of friends.

Tim and Penny sent a hilarious talking card that was so them. It makes me laugh every time I hear it (and Nate wore it out). There also were sweet cards that I love to reread. Brad and Laura's card is always a stitch. But this birthday card above won the prize for capturing "me". For some unknown reason, I have a hard time hitting my mouth when I eat. My husband says it's because I'm in a hurry. I do need to wear stripes.

Mike and the kids made a birthday fuss. Each of my offspring gave me a meal cuz they know I like to go out to eat. Brad and Laura's meal came in the mail in the form of a plastic card for a pizza place that gets good marks in NW Arkansas. Brad is good about researching online for the best places and then making a call; he has New York survival skills. Matt and Beth and Nate gave me a meal at Pesto Cafe and the eggplant parmesan was a treat.

I guess sometimes birthdays give pause for reflection. This year I was needing some assurance that my course did not need correction regarding one way I spend my time. So I asked the Lord (not out loud) to confirm it in a specific way. The day went by and I had not heard a word. Nothing by bedtime. I was disappointed because I had asked in good faith and I thought because it involved His work, it was a prayer that He would surely answer. I checked the computer once more, got into bed, strapped on the CPAP machine, and took a deep breath.

On the nightstand, Precious (the iPhone) dinked. I picked it up and there...less than an hour before the next day would have begun...was my email answer! It came right on time (He's always right on time) and at a perfect time when I was quiet and more contemplative. I LOVE hearing from the Lord. It doesn't often happen that directly, but when it does...SHAZZAM!

Then, first thing the next morning another confirmation came. No one else knew what I had asked but Him. He and I understood and I waited for Him. What a wonderful birthday blessing!

Now there was ONE more birthday thingy that happened and we are all scratching our heads about this. We decided at the last minute to go to the Pesto Cafe, and we didn't know a soul in there. We ate and then the waitress appeared with two mounded plates of chocolate cake/ice cream. Nate was overjoyed! We hadn't mentioned a birthday, so we knew it wasn't from the restaurant. The waitress said "someone wanted you to have this"...but she wouldn't say who. Beth thought Mike did it. Mike thought Beth did it. Then when we really began to explore...neither of them did it. Until this moment, it remains a mystery why a stranger would send cake to our table.

Well, our lives are a journey through uncharted waters. And for a control freak (in remission, but constantly recurring) like myself, I take great comfort in knowing an omniscent and omnipotent Father who is personally involved in His children's lives.

"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you." 1Peter 5.7 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment