Friday, June 12, 2009

GOD ALMIGHTY (El Shaddai)

Back in the 80's, Mike and I were helping with a summer Bible club in a local housing project called Eastgate Terrace.  The men met with the guys at 5:00 after work; the women met with the girls in the mornings before it got hot.  One week I was assigned to a shy little girl named Tundra who always kept her head down.  The leader thought maybe I could draw her out and I was hoping I could, too.  But after the first day I knew it would be an uphill pull.

Tundra did not laugh when the others did during games.  She kept her gaze to the ground during snacks.  She barely could respond when spoken to directly.  We were told that Tundra had a rough home life, and I tried to imagine what circumstances had contributed to this child's painful shyness.  I also had trouble imagining naming a precious little baby "Tundra"...but since that wasn't my business, I just tried to creatively find her love language.  After the first three days, I was not making progress with my new friend.  It was just too hard for her.

The fourth day of the week, a resource person was coming and bringing a sackful of tap shoes.  I thought..."Oh, boy!  THIS surely will draw Tundra out.  What little girl doesn't like to tap?"  The volunteer was a dance instructor and she brought music and the girls all LOVED putting on the shoes and tapping around and giggling.  Well, all except Tundra.  She remained in her chair on the sidelines and couldn't be coaxed to join in.  Now I was bamboozled and we only had one more day.  I begged the Lord to reach Tundra with His love.  After all, He does have an overreaching advantage as He speaks the language of the individual heart.  

Right after the dance activity, we went into our small groups for our Bible study.  Our lesson that day was to explain very simply the way to love God through His Son.  Tundra gave no particular indication that she was listening, and I was feeling very defeated as we finished and I made my way to the front.  There was the opposite of a receiving line at the door and as each girl left, we gave them a hug and told them we were looking forward to the next day.

When Tundra came to me, she looked up full into my face for the first time.  She hugged me and said that she had "prayed that prayer" with us.  She smiled and her beautiful eyes sparkled.  My eyes were full of tears as a verse came immediately to mind:

"Thou, O Lord, art a shield about me...you're my glory...you're the lifter of my head."  Psalm 3:3 




No comments:

Post a Comment