Monday, November 3, 2008


YESTERDAY
I officially turned around yesterday.  I'm a self-confessed political junkie, glued to emails and newscasts.  But my fretfactor kept rising like Arkansas' triple digits in August.  It turns out my natural interest in politics wasn't particularly helpful personally.  I just kept knowing more and enjoying it less.

Although my stated worldview was that God is in control, practically my ever-increasing knowledge was driving me crazy.  

Then I heard a sermon yesterday.  And truth resonated way down deep in my spirit.  I felt the careening vehicle "rrrrt" and come abruptly to a halt.  My confidence sat down on a verse.  They were just some little words the Lord said as He was leaving earth.  It was as if He said...I'm leaving, but don't worry because "all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me".  Well!  If He is the seat of all authority, that trumps whatever breaking news might crawl across my TV screen tonight.  Or any scheme of man.  I like that!

It's not like I hadn't heard that verse before.  It's just a timing thing.  Is the uneasy situation still there?  Oh, yeah.  So what changed?  Just me.  A fearful heart melted into sweet relief.  There also is a verse in Philippians that says God will supply all my needs in Christ.  He did that for me yesterday in a nanno second.  He very kindly took me out of the stewpot of my own making.  Our Advocate is tenderhearted in His shepherding; when He acts, it is unmistakeable.  There was no way I could calm myself down about our country's future.  I had been down that cul-de-sac more than once.  But He did it in an instant.  There is no one like our God. 

"Remember the former things long past, for I am God and there is no other; I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying 'My purpose will be established and I will accomplish all My good pleasure', truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.  I have planned it; surely I will do it."  Isaiah 46:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment